Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ralphie Hardesty - Bear Bars, Ivy League, and Dead Gangster T-Shirts

I think the biggest thing that people forget to tell you when you grow up is that being an adult sucks. You spend the first 20 years of your life with a goal, with a trajectory.

You are to go to school, finish each level, go to college, maybe even get your master's degree. Before you know it, those things are accomplished. Good job! You did it! Ohmygodholyshit no one told me what to do now. I don't know how to be an adult. I know I get a job now, but what if I hate it? What if I'm not good at it? What if no one will give me one?

I feel like all of my peers in my age range hit their mid-20s and discovered depression. None of us knew where to go or how to succeed. And we still don't, but we're getting better at accepting that knowledge. When I moved to Austin in 2010 I had absolutely no direction or prospects. Luckily, I moved in with a distant acquaintance who was in the same boat. Ralphie and I spent many afternoons (and long into the night) with the curtains drawn, Roseanne on the TV, and various craft projects in front of us. We didn't know what to do with ourselves half of the time. We made a very earnest decision to start scrapbooking professionally. He was unemployed and I had nothing exciting in my life. Thank GOD we got just bored enough to go to a comedy open mic one night. Together we discovered this whole world in which we belonged - a world that did not involve scrapbooking.

Ralph is one of the funniest comics around, my partner in crime when it comes to regrettable late night food decisions, and a lovable nerd. I hope you enjoy him as much as I do, and follow his furry ass on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment